These guidelines and recommendations provide the best practices for radar speed sign installation to assure successful, accurate and effective traffic calming.
- Do not install a solar powered radar speed sign under a tree. Summer leaves on the tree could impact solar recharging.
- The radar speed sign should have at least 75 feet of straight road for on-coming traffic.
- The radar speed sign should be installed no more than 5 feet from the road curb. At more than 6 feet from the road, the sign will take the eyes of the driver an unsafe distance from the roadway.
- The sign direction should be perpendicular to the road with the radar pointing directly at the curb, not at the center of the road.
- Prior to radar sign installation look for any obstructions (telephone poles, large tree limbs, other signage, etc.) that might interfere with proper operation of the sign.
- Installing the sign on the same side of the street as parallel parking of vehicles could affect the radar performance of the radar speed sign.