“During pick-up and drop-off times, 20% of the cars were speeding with some going as fast as 35 mph. After installing Radarsign’s driver feedback sign, only 8.5% are speeding, a 57% reduction!”– Ron Lattanze, Parent/Traffic Committee, The Raleigh School – Raleigh (NC)
School Zone Safety
Pedestrian safety is a top priority in school zones and on school campuses everywhere. With 20% of the 55 million school children walking or biking to school, reducing driver speed in school zones is more critical than ever.
While there are many causes for traffic accidents, driver speed is cited as the root source of 33% of all traffic fatalities.
- A pedestrian hit by a car traveling 40 mph has an 85 percent chance of being killed. At 30 mph, those odds decrease to 55 percent. By contrast, the chance of a pedestrian being killed if hit by a car moving at 20 mph is only 15 percent.*
- A vehicle traveling 40 mph will still be going 36 mph when it hits a person who suddenly appears in the street 100 feet ahead of it; however the average driver going 25 mph would be able to come to a full stop within 100 feet. *
- A driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 seconds with their eyes off the road. In that time, a driver would travel 150 feet at 22 mph, 200 feet at 30 mph and 250 feet at 37 mph. **
School Zone Traffic Calming Options
Radarsign offers several options that provide traffic calming in school zones.
- Radar Speed Sign with Hyper-Alerts™
Hyper-Alerts™ are compact clusters of LED lights built right into the “Your Speed” faceplate of the TC-600 model delivering the same luminescence as a 12″ beacon, only in a more compact surface. This results in an “impossible to ignore alert” even over 1000 feet from the sign.
- Radar Speed Sign with Flashing Beacons
This system includes flashing beacons, an AC powered or solar powered radar speed sign with a yellow/green fluorescent YOUR SPEED faceplate, and StreetSmart traffic data reporting software.
- Flashing Beacons Only
This system includes stand-alone flashing beacons. Optional add-ons include a timer, regulatory school zone sign, pole and footings.
- Radar Speed Signs
Solar powered, AC powered, and battery powered models in 11”, 13” and 17” LED sizes.
- Additionally, our Mobile Patrol Stand and Radar on the Go speed trailer hitch provide an easy way to add mobility to your traffic calming efforts.
Radarsign Reduces the Number of Speeding Drivers in School Zone by 50%
As America’s School Zone Safety Partner, Radarsign has published a best practices and step-by-step evaluation checklist so you can determine how safe your school zone is.
Federal grant funding is available for elementary and middle schools through the Safe Routes to School Program (SRTS) for roadway safety measures which include traffic calming devices such as a radar speed sign. Radarsign models are eligible for 100% funding as an infrastructure improvement.
Other fund raising options include:
- PTA fundraising project
- Donations from local “big box” retailers who want to be good corporate citizens
- Donations from concerned local civic groups
- State transportation grants